To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.


How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - occasional errors occur in humans and automated systems. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Our meters record a reading every hour for 90+ days. Our service dept. can retrieve the information to assist in pinpointing an issue.  Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

You may have a malfunctioning pressure releif valve, a possible leak, or the fire dept. might be accessing a hydrant in your area. Also, when we have leaks on our main lines, customers will usually lose some or all pressure and we would appreciate a call to our office so our staff can investigate and make prompt repairs. 

I plan to dig on my property. How do I get my water line marked?

By law, anyone planning to excavate is required to call and request that utilities be marked.  This is done by calling 811 or 1-800-344-7483. The Missouri One Call website can be accessed HERE for more information. Notification is required at least three working days before the proposed excavation except in the case of an emergency.

PLEASE NOTE:  PWSD No. 12 will only mark from the water meter to the water main and any main lines in the area. The line from the meter to the home is the responsibility of the homeowner. PWSD No. 12 is not responsible for marking the customer's service line.

What is the hardness of my water?

Our water system is served by three different wells, each with a different level of hardness. 

Well #2 serves the area North of our office to Airport Road and Hwy. 61. The hardness level of the water from this well is 378 mg/L or 22 gpg.

Well #3 serves the area South of our office along Hwy. TT in addition to Jefferson High School, Stonebridge Estates and the Danby area West of Interstate 55. The hardness level of the water from this well is 331 mg/L or 19 gpg.

Well #4 serves the Selma area and continues South to Danby Rd. The hardness level of the water from this well is 284 mg/L or 16 gpg.

If you would like more specific information, please contact our office staff for assistance.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look. Fire department usage in the area may also cause temporary discoloration. If your water doesn't improve after running it for a period of 1-2 minutes, please contact our office for assistance.

What chemicals are added to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.  Currently, Chlorine is the only item added to our pristine water as it is pumped from the ground. The level of Chlorine in the water system is monitored 24/7 to ensure that it complies with all regulations.

Can I drill a well?

The District does not have any rules that prohibit drilling a well, but some subdivisions do not allow it. Contact your Property Owner's Association to verify.  NOTE:  If you have both a well and public water, state law requires the two sources to remain physically seperated at all times.  They may not be connected to each other in any way.

I had an unexpected leak at my residence. Is there any adjustment available to me?

Unexpected leaks are worrisome and can occur without your knowledge. While we do inspect the lines in the district and watch for water pooling in areas that it normally does not, a leak can be out of our view and can be happening even without the homeowner knowing.  A toilet that has stuck, an outside faucet left on, or a leak underground in the service line can all run your bill up very quickly.  The average for a leaking toilet for one month is 25,000 gallons!  If you have an unexpected leak, PWSD #12 has a one-time leak adjustment policy in place to assist customers with a high bill. Our policy is that as a one-time courtesy, the bill will be adjusted down to an average bill plus half of the overage that occured from the leak.  This is a one-time adjustment over the life of the account and is subject to the discretion of our Board of Directors.  

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Our disinfectant levels are monitored electronically 24/7 to ensure safety and compliance with all state and federal regulations.  If you believe there might be a problem, please contact our office for assistance.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

What is the Primacy Fee on my Sept. bill?

All public water systems in Missouri are required to collect this fee and remit it to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources annually to help off-set administrative costs in keeping the public's water safe.  The fee varies depending on population and meter size with $3.00 per year being the most common in our District.  More detailed information can be found on the MoDNR website HERE.

Can my deposit be added to my first bill?

No.  In order for water service to be established, the refundable deposit must first be paid in full.

Can I change the name on my account?

Our Service Agreement is a legally binding contract; therefore, in order to change the name on an account, a new contract will need to be completed and signed by whoever will be responsible for the bill.  A current deposit can be gifted to a new user, if desired, by completing a form at our office.  Please contact us with any questions or concerns.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received the payment after the due date or we may not have received it at all. PWSD #12 is not responsible for the performance of the U.S. Postal Service. Call our office and we will do our best to help resolve the problem.